Thursday, September 19, 2019
Ahoy mateys! Will ye drop anchor 'n visit wit' me fer a wee bit o' time? Th' yearly celebration where ye flap yer jaws like a buccaneer be upon us! Arrr, indeed, today be Talk Like a Pirate Day. As it usually happens each year on 'tis date, thar be parrrrties, fund-raisers, pub crawls, 'n other special events takin' place all over th' world. Given th' many scallywags out thar, me imagine that they'll still be out parrrtyin' well 'til tomorrrrow!
Shiver me timbers! Fer thems o' ye who be unawares o' 'tis unique occasion, it starrrrted out as a fun concept in 1995, encourrrragin' people t' talk like a pirate. It be created by John Baur (Ol' Chumbucket) 'n Mark Summers (Cap'n Slappy), hailin' from th' state o' Oregon in th' U.S. Accorrrrdin' t' Summers, th' day be invented as th' result o' a sports injury. While th' two mateys be playin' racquetball, one o' thems reacted t' th' pain with an outburst o' "Aaarrr!", 'n th' idea be born. Thems two scallywags sent a letter about thar invented holiday t' th' American syndicated humor columnist Dave Barry in 2002. 'Tis chap be likin' th' idea so much he promoted it. Th' media grabbed hold o' th' holiday after Barry's column 'n it now be an international event followed by many each year on September 19th.
Yo-ho-ho! T' help celebrate 'tis glorious day wit' a bit 'o swag, I be givin' ye fer free some loot. Sail ho! Whar thar be pirates, thar be rum…
T' be grabbin' 'tis treasure, click on th' button above t' be taken t' a download location. In th' zip folder ye will find a copy of th' booty, its preview sheet, th' credit information 'n me terms o' use which are standard t' all me folders. This loot be in png format 'n published at 300 dpi.
Now o' course I can't be sendn' ye along yer way wit'out a pirate joke or two:
Q: Why is pirating so addictive?
A: They say once ye lose yer first hand, ye get hooked!
Q: How do pirates know that they are pirates?
A: They think, therefore they ARRRR!!!!!
Oh, 'n if ye be interested in findin' out more fun facts about 'tis fun day, be sure t' check out th' official Talk Like a Pirate website available HERE.
Until I be sailin' these fair seas again,
Note about me pirate name...
Passion be a big part of me life, which makes sense fer a pirate. Even though I not always be th' traditional swaggerin' gallant, me steadiness and plannin' make me a fine, reliable pirate. Arrr!
If ye be wantn' yer own pirate name, be cerrrrtain t' click HERE.
Baur, John and Mark Summers. (2002-2014). FAQ. Available: http://www.talklikeapirate.com/faq.html. Last accessed 18th September 2014.
Author Unknown. (N.D.). International Talk Like a Pirate Day. Available: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Talk_Like_a_Pirate_Day. Last accessed 18th September 2014
Friday, September 06, 2019
Hello there everyone! I'm back here today to announce the next challenge over at Pattie's Creations Design Challenge. This time around for Challenge #162, the theme is Things that Fly. When it comes to your choice of image, you can choose something that can realistically fly like birds, insects, airplanes, air balloons, etc, OR you could also approach it from a different angle choosing something that could theoretically fly like fairies, or other things with wings. That is the approach I have taken for this challenge looking at the fantasy end of things. While a cat doesn't normally fly, with wings it could theoretically. Whatever approach you take, whether realistic or fantastic, we'd love to see what you come up with.
General Project Info:
- I've decided to make a pet sympathy card. That is definitely one category my card collection is currently missing.
- This card has been created 100% digitally and then layered in a Mock Up (courtesy of Frisk Shop). I will print it out and assemble it a later date.
Digital Images Details:
- Kitty Angel can be found in Pattie's Etsy shop. This image was coloured in digitally using digital colouring and digital 'paper' piecing. Credits include:
- fur created using a texture from Daniela K. via Deviant Art.
- wings created using a design from Mithos-2000 via Deviant Art.
- The background in behind the image was created using a cloudy sky texture from Diza-74 via Deviant Art.
- I also added some clouds for the kitty to sit on. They were obtained in a free sample from Inky Deals.
Digital Embellishment Details:
- The banner shape in behind the sentiment was created using a template purchased from Marisa Lerin, Pixel Scrapper.
Digital Sentiment Details:
- Both the sentiment on the front and the one on the inside were created by Paulette from Create with TLC. For great freebies and inspiration be sure to click HERE to go to Paulette's blog and for awesome sets for purchase, click HERE to go to the home page of the store.
Digital Paper Products:
- The paper used as a background on the front and inside is a freebie from Sweetly Scrapped.
Digital Embellishment Details:
- I have used basic shapes in Photoshop Elements to create matting in behind the image and sentiment (inside).
- I have applied shadow layer styles to give certain elements some depth. These styles were designed by Sheila Reid, Pixel Scrapper.
Challenges I am hoping to enter...
- http://www.wordartwednesday.blogspot.ca/ (5E)-- Anything Goes
- http://craftingfromtheheartchallengeblog.blogspot.ca/ -- Anything Goes
- http://craftycreationschallenges.blogspot.ca/ -- Anything Goes
- yourscrapbookplace.blogspot.com -- Always Anything Goes
- https://ttcrd.blogspot.ca/ -- Always Anything Goes
You have until October 3rd to enter our challenge which should give you lots of time to get a creation done. Remember the theme is Things that Fly. I really hope that you will be able to join us. You can enter three times per challenge and of course MUST follow all the challenge requirements that are posted (please click HERE to become familiar with all the rules).
Pop over to the challenge blog and check out what my fabulous teammates have offered up for inspiration. Oh and don't forget…Pattie offers up a new freebie the first Friday of the month and it will remain up for approximately two weeks; so, be sure to pop over and check it out as well!
Well guys, that is it for this one. Have a wonderful September and I'll see you again soon.
Until next time,