HAPPY WORLD VEGETARIAN DAY EVERYONE!
Today, World Vegetarian Day, kicks off the first day in a month long awareness plan to help promote the "joy, compassion and life-enhancing possibilities"1 of living a meat-free life. This day has been celebrated annually since 1977. The true aim is to help bring awareness to the ethical, environmental, health and humanitarian benefits of adopting a vegetarian lifestyle. The month closes out with the celebration of World Vegan Day on the 1st of November.
In the spirit of this occasion I have created a Thanksgiving card for my hubs who followed in my footsteps of making this life change just a few months after I did, a little over twenty one years ago. Our Canadian Thanksgiving is coming up in a little under two weeks so now is a good time to unveil it...
Digital Image Details:
- This totally awesome digi is one I first came across last Thanksgiving on my buddy Lisa Minkler's site, You Made Me Ink. She created a really awesome card using the unmistakeable digi stylings of John from Doctor Digi's House of Stamps. In February, I had the opportunity to spotlight a number of Doctor Digi images in a Saturday Showcase. Among the digis I showcased, I included this one, called 'Howdy Pilgrim', and happened to mention it was my favourite of the bunch.
- As I stated in that post, "as a vegetarian, the usual Thanksgiving cards filled with steaming plates of turkey or lush beautiful turkeys just waiting to meet their end, do absoluetely nothing for me. This image however is just perfect for all of us non meat eaters and for anyone with a sense of humour for that matter." After John saw that post, he generously gifted me this image as a thank you from one vegetarian to another! I was so thrilled and knew that it would be perfect for the hubs' card come Thanksgiving. Well that day to use the image is here and I hope I did it justice.
- Thanks to Lisa, I was also able to get an idea of how to shade this great image properly. I love seeing how other people colour the images I work with and often copy ideas down and keep everyone's cards in their own files so I know who to credit for inspiration. Oh and if you aren't familiar with Lisa's incredible colouring skills, you absolutely must go pay her a visit. Actually, you should pay her a visit in general, she is an awesome creator of cards and other unique projects and an amazing and funny lady to boot!
- I coloured this image using Copic markers: Pilgrim: E21, E23, E25 (hair); E000, E00, E02, R20 (skin); colourless blender, N0, C1, C3, C5, C7, 100, Y21, Y23, Y28 (outfit). Turkey: E11, E13, E15, E19, Y38, YR04. Gun: E31, E33, E37, E39.Ground: W1, W3, W5. Grounding around image: colourless blender, BG10.
- I wish I could take credit for this saying but I can't. Remember above, when I said that I originally saw the image on a card by Lisa M.? Well, she had come up with the quote, "Who's wishing they were vegan now, pilgrim?". I just tweaked it slightly but it is still originally hers and I did get permission from her to recreate it for this card. Thanks Lisa! If you'd like to check out her card, click HERE.
- Leaves Paper: Check it out--That strip is from the leaves paper that I created for the September kit available for free HERE.
- Leaves: The random leaves that I have on the top left hand side and going down the right side, are fussy cut from the leaves spray that I also created for the September kit. Now at the time I had stated that this particular image would only be available for free until the end of September. However, I will leave it up for anyone interested until I post the next Wonderful Wednesday post due out tomorrow. So, if you want it, you better grab it now HERE before I remove it.
- Designer Paper: The dotted paper is from Recollection's All Seasons Paper Pad.
Digital Sentiment Details:
- Instead of 'happy turkey day' it's 'happy tofurkey day'. Hey, don't say yuck unless you've ever tried one. They are y--u--m--m--y! I created the sentiment in Publisher and then added a leaves border before printing.
- Designer Paper: The orange cardstock used for matting is Michael's open stock srapbook paper.
- Card base: Michael's Recollection's card set, white, large.
NOW ON TO THE GOODIES PORTION OF THIS SPECIAL OCCASION...Thanks to all who popped by over the last three days since my (cyber) Hug a Vegetarian Day challenge. I received a total of 9 cyber hugs, thank you very much and actually got two of them from fellow vegetarians and one from a 6/8 th veggie! Woo Hoo! This is the cute veggie themed paper I've now sent off to those nine individuals.
So to continue to celebrate this unique occasion I have some more veggie themed goodies for you. You are welcome to the 'Smile, say tofu!' image from the top of the page plus this one below:
and this one:
You certainly don't have to be a vegetarian to appreciate that quote!
Now, for the most part I have kept things pretty lighthearted; but, I do want to leave you with the quiet words of Ghandi who boils the whole concept of vegetarianism down into this profound statement...
Couldn't have said it any better than that!
Until next time,
- Dancing Script OT
- Concrete Shoes
- Catharsis Espresso
- Alcohol Licks
- Face Off!
If you are not sure how to copy the image, check out the download instructions page.
Along with the Credit Note above...
- Do not claim the image as your own.
- Credit 'Decosse's Dynamite Doodles' or 'Lisa L. Décosse' somewhere on your creation.
- Credit and provide a link if you post a creation on your blog using any of my work in your creations.
- Do not share my images with family, friends, etc. Additionally, do not post any images to file sharing services like Box®, 4-Shared®, etc. Instead, please direct people to my blog so they can grab the image for themselves. If you would like to post a watermarked version of the image, please contact me to obtain one.
- If I have signed an image, do not delete my signature.
- Leave a comment on my blog. It is currently the only way for me to know if any of my freebies are being nabbed. Additionally, it will help to inspire me to continue to create and offer future freebies
1. Author Unknown. (Date Unknown). Home Page. Available: http://www.navs-online.org/about/index.php. Last accessed 30th Sept. 2013.
Author Unknown. (Date Unknown). World Vegetarian Day. Available: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Vegetarian_Day. Last accessed 30th Sept. 2013.