As a refresher, here is the front of the card...
- As mentioned previously in the original post, the word art used in this card is from Nana Vic Digitals.
- I recoloured the image in Publisher and printed it out.
- As mentioned in the last 'episode' I really do think this is one of my favourite cards. It is definitely my favourite Christmas card of the bunch.
- My original design idea was to keep things pretty simple and let the word art speak for itself. Now I don't believe I've ever done a white on white kind of card.
- So, since I don't have any embossing tools, I decided that the best approach was to create some interesting shapes. So I ended up using my Cricut machine and decided that I would create a frame for the word art.
- However, that wasn't going to be enough detail; so, I decided to create a larger piece using the same shape and use it to create the base for the image. I then cut a card shape a little bit smaller (so the holes would have empty air behind them) and something that I could adhere all the layers to.
- First though, I inked up the edges using an antique goldy-sandy colour to 'dirty' it up a little. Next, I glued all the top layers together.
- This is where the fun started. Once I knew the overall design, I needed to start thinking dimension. So, I added a really pretty sparkly red ribbon (Celebrate It brand from Michaels) in the upper left corner.
- Now, this next step is what I am most proud of. I got so many wonderful compliments on this card and my flower. A few people even said they had the same flower die I used. Well, here is the kicker. All but the VERY FIRST layer of the flower is made by hand NOT with a die cut. I don't own any dies yet. Yes, I have an electronic cutting machine but I don't have very many cartridges.
- I do however have a flower punch that has a couple different very small flower shapes. So, I took the five petal pointed flower and cut one layer. Next, I traced the flower on a piece of cardstock and then sort of added a little bit of space and tried to mimic the same shape only a bit bigger. It was a little hit and miss at first but I got the hang of it and ended up created four other sizes so that my five petal flower would end up having five layers. Actually I didn't consciously choose the five and five, it sort of just happened that way. Oh, and I got to use up scraps for this which was great!
- Now applying the lesson learned from my last mistake where I glued the flower together FIRST and THEN inked the edges, this time I inked all the layers first BEFORE putting it together. EDUCATION!
- I shaped each of the petals on all the layers, arranged the petals so that they overlaped each other and glued it all together, one layer at a time with a glue gun.
- Lastly, for my cherry on top, I added a small red gemstone to the centre of the flower.
- So seriously, it was a HUGE compliment that people thought I used a die to make it.
- The lesson I learned this time around is that before I ink and glue all the floral pieces together, I need to trace each of the layers so that I don't have to do it all from scratch each and every time I make one of them. They are time consuming given all the worked involved and keeping a template will definitely save some time in the future.
- As you can see, I kept the inside simple to just add my own message.
- I printed out another of the same shape used on the front and applied the same steps to antiquing it up a bit.
- Card base: Michael's Recollection's Cardstock, white.
- Elegant Edges
Until next time,