Thursday, August 29, 2013

Details for Recent Christmas Card

Hey everyone!  Before too much time passes I figured I better show the deets to the recent Christmas card I created.  This card was for the Lady Anne's Progressive Christmas Challenge.  So while I'm not 100% feeling better by any means, at least I'm no longer propped up over the keyboard so here we go...

As a refresher, here is the front of the card...

FRONT
 Digital Image:
  • As mentioned previously in the original post, the word art used in this card is from Nana Vic Digitals.
    • I recoloured the image in Publisher and printed it out.
Card Recipe:
  •  As mentioned in the last 'episode' I really do think this is one of my favourite cards.  It is definitely my favourite Christmas card of the bunch.
  • My original design idea was to keep things pretty simple and let the word art speak for itself.  Now I don't believe I've ever done a white on white kind of card.
  • So, since I don't have any embossing tools, I decided that the best approach was to create some interesting shapes.  So I ended up using my Cricut machine and decided that I would create a frame for the word art.
  • However, that wasn't going to be enough detail; so, I decided to create a larger piece using the same shape and use it to create the base for the image.  I then cut a card shape a little bit smaller (so the holes would have empty air behind them) and something that I could adhere all the layers to.
  • First though, I inked up the edges using an antique goldy-sandy colour to 'dirty' it up a little.  Next, I glued all the top layers together.
  • This is where the fun started.  Once I knew the overall design, I needed to start thinking dimension.  So, I added a really pretty sparkly red ribbon (Celebrate It brand from Michaels) in the upper left corner.
  • Now, this next step is what I am most proud of.  I got so many wonderful compliments on this card and my flower.  A few people even said they had the same flower die I used.  Well, here is the kicker.  All but the VERY FIRST layer of the flower is made by hand NOT with a die cut.  I don't own any dies yet.  Yes, I have an electronic cutting machine but I don't have very many cartridges.
    • I do however have a flower punch that has a couple different very small flower shapes.  So, I took the five petal pointed flower and cut one layer.  Next, I traced the flower on a piece of cardstock and then sort of added a little bit of space and tried to mimic the same shape only a bit bigger.  It was a little hit and miss at first but I got the hang of it and ended up created four other sizes so that my five petal flower would end up having five layers.  Actually I didn't consciously choose the five and five, it sort of just happened that way.  Oh, and I got to use up scraps for this which was great!
    • Now applying the lesson learned from my last mistake where I glued the flower together FIRST and THEN inked the edges, this time I inked all the layers first BEFORE putting it together. EDUCATION!
    • I shaped each of the petals on all the layers, arranged the petals so that they overlaped each other and glued it all together, one layer at a time with a glue gun.
    • Lastly, for my cherry on top, I added a small red gemstone to the centre of the flower.
    • So seriously, it was a HUGE compliment that people thought I used a die to make it. 
Lesson Learned:
  • The lesson I learned this time around is that before I ink and glue all the floral pieces together, I need to trace each of the layers so that I don't have to do it all from scratch each and every time I make one of them.  They are time consuming given all the worked involved and keeping a template will definitely save some time in the future.
INSIDE
 Recipe Continued:
  • As you can see, I kept the inside simple to just add my own message.
  • I printed out another of the same shape used on the front and applied the same steps to antiquing it up a bit.
So, there you have it, all the details in their fine print.  Hope the wait wasn't too long!

Paper Products:
  • Card base: Michael's Recollection's Cardstock, white.
Cricut Cartridge Used:
  • Elegant Edges

 Until next time,

3 comments:

Vicky F. AKA Crafting Vicky said...

it really is stunning! Loving the white look with just the sparkly red touch with the bow!

Fit Kitty said...

Love it! Beautiful Xmas card - and that sparkly bow is the perfect accent! Glad you're feeling a bit better!

Take care,
Kitty

Edwina said...

Hi Lisa, I love this card the best too. It is so gorgeous! I read all you did to make it. I have done that too cutting things down to size. It does take a while to do. Thanks for sharing your card again. Edwina Brown