Monday, November 04, 2013

Card Design: Fresh Brewed Flashback


It is time for a...
Fresh Brewed Flashback

The Fresh Brewed Designs store is filled with so many awesome images that we thought it would be nice to take a stroll down memory lane.  With Christmas around the corner it is a good time to reacquaint yourself with (or if you are new to FBD, come meet) the outstanding collection of holiday themed images already available in the store. Whether you are looking for something whimsical, joyful, reverent or just plain fun, Fresh Brewed Designs has it all! 

Today, for this Fresh Brewed Flashback I bring you Snow Owl.  I just love this adorable little owl.  She is so cute and cuddly, and just as important, she is warm and inviting.  The perfect image to accompany some warm winter wishes!


Clicking on the watermark should bring you straight to the Snow Owl's location in the FBD store.
http://www.freshbreweddesigns.com/item_228/Snow-Owl.htm

Here are my cards and details, I hope I haven't forgotten anything...

General Information:
  • Woo Hoo!  Another Christmas card for the pot.  I think I am up to 21.  I really am going to have to dig them all out and do a real count very soon.
  • Today's card is very special.  It is the first ever card where I used my new Sizzix Big Shot that was so generously given to me by one of my new found friends that I have met through blogging.  If you missed the post where I told everyone about how I received this incredibly generous gift and you'd like to check it out, click HERE.  

FRONT  
 Digital Image: 
  • Snow Owl:  This image is currently available in the FBD store.  You can find it by clicking on the image watermark above.
  • I coloured it in with Copics and chalk.  Feathers: E31, E33, E39. Beak & Feet: Y35, Y38.  Hat & Muff:  G02, G05, G09.  Ground and grounding around image is done with chalks.
Die-Cut Used:
  • I used Spellbinders Nestabilities, Label Twenty Two, to cut out the white, green and red shapes.  I also embossed each shape with this set as well.
Lessons Learned:
  • Now it is going to take some time to get used to the Big Shot.  I was terrified the first time I tried and heard some serious cracking which I had heard was to be expected.  However, I did not expect the die-cut to completely imprint in the cutting pad.  None of the videos I had seen showed that!  So there is some adjusting I will need to do to still get my cut go through but not have it cut right into the clear plastic.  Otherwise, I'll be replacing the cutting pad much sooner than expected.  
  • I also need to get better at lining things up when sending them back through to be embossed.  For some reason things must have slipped because the embossing on the green and white pieces are a little off.
  • Hopefully I'll get better with a little practice.  Right now I am just so thrilled to finally have one of the items that has been on my wishlist for over the past year!

INSIDE
Digital Sentiment:
  • Once again I used one of my own sentiments.  This one was created as a Follower Freebie back at the end of November last year. If you are interested in it, you can find it HERE.

OVERALL
Paper Products:
  • Card base: Crafts Brand card kit, blue -- purchased at Dollarama.
  • Designer Papers:   
    • The dotted paper (front and inside) is from Recollection's Signature Festivus paper pad.
    • The green cardstock used as matting (front and inside) is Michael's open stock scrapbook.
    • The red cardstock used as on the front for the little squares is Michael's Recollection's Cardstock, red.
Embellishments:
  • Green (used on front) and red (used on inside) sparkly snowflakes are from a stash I got from my momma.
 
Thanks for joining me today for our first Fresh Brewed Flashback.  I anticipate that there will be many more to come which is a wonderful excuse for showing you some more of my favourite FBD images.  I'll be back this coming Saturday with another FBD creation to show you. 

I hope you have the chance to go and check out Snow Owl along with all the other great images to get you started on those Christmas cards that you have been putting off. 


Psst...If you act fast you still might be able to grab three beautiful sentiments all about HOPE, currently available for free on the home page.  However, you better grab the freebies quickly because you never know when they will disappear. 


At Fresh Brewed Designs we always have a fresh pot of creativity brewing. So stop by and join us for a cuppa whenever you want!





Until next time,

5 comments:

Heather D. ~ Fresh Brewed Designs said...

This card is just precious!!! I love the layout and your gorgeous diecuts! *Speaking of die cuts, what a loving and thoughtful gift that was!!! It warmed my heart to read it!!!*
Our Snow Owl looks quite content and ready for the colder weather. I, on the other hand, would be a shivering mess, lol!!! Give me blankets, coats, boots, coffee... and a warm couch please :) hehehe!!!

Have a happy day!
Heather

Karon said...

So adorable - love the sentiment too! TFS

Edwina said...

So cute! I love seeing your cards. They are always fun. Edwina Brown

SAMARA said...

Hi Lisa: What a beautiful card you created! I love the embossing you did...it adds so much to this card. While reading your post, I noticed you talked about the cracking noise of your plates. I too have a big shot and the cracking noise and imprint on your plates is quite normal. It is molding to the folder or to the metal. It is freaky for sure and takes some getting used to but not to worry. When a frame gets caught in the plate, I just use my piercing tool to pry it up. Regardless of cracks and imprints you have done a lovely job!!! Your card is beautiful. xox

Crafting Vicky said...

Soooo adorable. And don't worry you will soon be much better with your machine ;o) Like anything else it just takes practice!!!