Friday, January 04, 2013

Flashback Friday: January 4, 2013

Yes I admit it.  I have a problem.

It appears I have a serious addiction to alliteration--Showcase Saturday, Spotlight Sunday, Motivational Monday, Follower Freebies, Thursdays are for giving Thanks and now Flashback Friday.  If you can recommend any treatment programs for this problem I'm officially open to observing any options.  He-He, I just can't help myself... : o )

In an effort to share more of my creative past with you and give myself an opportunity to reflect on artistic days gone by, I am creating a 'Flashback Friday' post that will probably happen the first Friday of each month until I get bogged down in DT duties in which case it might not take place on consistent Fridays.


The majority of what you will see will be art that I created between 12 and 30 years ago.  Oy Vey!  Am I really that old?  Eeek. 

I hope you enjoy my trip down memory lane.  This particular picture was drawn with a set of sketching pencils that I bought in England on a trip there when I was 16 years old.  Ah, those were the days...but that is a whole other kind of flashback.  The image itself was drawn in 1992.  A time in my life when I was recently married (about 3 years), had moved far away from parents, we had just purchased our first home and I had just started working at our local college.  A time when life was shiny and the world was filled with possibility.  I'm afraid I don't remember the actual inspiration behind the picuture.


Reference only.  Not for download.

Now, I'm sure that I'm creating some sort of copywrite violation here.  I've never been much for being able to draw out of my head with no reference.  That is why I'm struggling so much with digital creation.  I could probably do a great job recreating everyone else's digi stamps but coming up with my own?  Not so easy.  I'm not very original when it comes to actual drawing.  85% of my old drawings are based on existing images that I've just interpreted into pencil, chalk, ink and/or other mediums.  The other 15% are landscapes or posed items.  So that being said, if anyone can prove to me that I have indeed infringed on another artist's rights, I will be happy to investigate and remove my old artwork. 

At times I feel I'm no longer the artist I was.  I miss that.  Now, I'm certainly not saying that I was great artist by any means, those of you who know me know that I'm not one to 'toot my own horn' as the saying goes, but I generally had the ability to capture the likeness of what I was drawing.  Unless of course it was faces, I couldn't draw a face properly to save my life.  For a laugh or two I'll post some of my attempts for you.  Yes, I know, I'm a sadist ;o).  It has been awhile since I picked up penci and paper.  Depending on how this goes over, maybe through my artistic journey this year I'll pull out my sketch book and start creating again sometime in the near future.  Then, I could create a post and call it 'Modern Mondays'.  No!  JUST KIDDING.  Really.  Probably.

Please take note that the images posted in 'Flashback Fridays' are for REFERENCE ONLY.  They are not meant for download they are just to show you another glimpse of my creative self.

TaTa 'til next time,

6 comments:

ike said...

Coooool !! This is a fabbo drawing :-) I have some old, OLD stuff in my folder from art college way back in the year "19hundred+frozentodeath" bwaahahahaha. Fortunately I think most of the dates are on the back LoL I wouldn't throw any of it out though.....aaaaahhhhh - takes me back. I certainly have evolved since then though. !! You got me going now... I might dig out some of the old stuff too :-D
Hugz
Ike xxx

Pia S said...

WOW - did you draw this yourself! Fabulous!

Suze said...

Thanks for sharing one of your sketches Lisa. I can't draw at all - my kids laugh at my box giraffe (a version of a stick figure). It very vaguely resembles a giraffe! Just a thought...you could rename Thursdays to Thankful Thursdays to keep the alliteration thing going! I'm as bad aren't I?

Anonymous said...

hi Lisa
oh woww what a beauty drawing.
(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`• .·:*¨·••·¨*:· Thanks.·:*¨·••·¨*:·for show us
these willl be perfect for a male card.
birthdaycard
how old are you?
so old like my shoe
they keep going to you
have a wonderful weekend
take care of yourself and stay warm.sending hugs across the miles
snowbird

Four11Lady said...

All I can say is WOW!! TFS

Michele from MS said...

Oh my goodness...I can so relate to that 1st paragraph! I think it's an awesome idea to share your drawings from years gone by! I love looking back at my work (when I thought it was good) and realizing how much I have grown over the past year! I really enjoy hearing the stories behind them too! Keep 'em coming!!